Saturday 29 August 2009

Jazzing up your chipboard lettering...

If you are anything like me, then you will love the glittery American Crafts Thickers - they can make such an impact on a page by adding a real dimension to your layout. However, what happens if you can't find them in the right shade or style for your layout? No problem - in true Blue Peter stylee, just make your own! Vanessa sent me some raw chipboard lettering this month, along with this gorgeous Scenic Route Garden Grove paper (have I mentioned before how much I adore Scenic Route? Just in case I haven't, I'll mention it again). I knew straightaway that I wanted to make a record of Ed's successful foray into 'growing your own' this year - the strawberries and blueberries were great (though the greenfly completely destroyed the raspberry plant!).



I managed to get a close up shot of some of the strawberries before we devoured them all. With such a strong photo and background paper, I knew that the lettering would have to stand out - so glitter was the way to go.



A couple of years ago, Vanessa had sent me some red Stickles glitter glue in a Christmas kit, and I hadn't used it since, so I knew this was the perfect time to break it out of the drawer again. The glitter glue goes onto the chipboard really easily, though you will need to give it a few hours or preferably overnight to let it dry completely before you start moving the layout about. This red glitter glue kept a really strong colour, and I quite liked the rough effect of allowing some of the raw chipboard to show through, but if you were using a lighter colour or wanted it even stronger, you could paint the chipboard first.



To continue with my theme of embellished lettering, I added some little red gems to the white chipboard thickers too. The embellishment on the rest of the layout was kept to a minimum - too much would have been overpowering on an already very busy layout. I couldn't resist using some more of my gorgeous Basic Grey Offbeat chipboard though - seriously, this pack is so versatile and just keeps on going!



The finished layout is bright, bold and a bit bling - perfect for Summer.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sarah xx said...

Fantastic colourful LO! Can almost taste those strawberries from here - yummy! xx

Rebekah said...

So simple but effective x

Rachel said...

lovely colours, the birds got our strawberries before we could doh!

lottie said...

Yummy, truly scrumptious, good enough to eat