Wednesday 14 December 2011

The Messy Look

I confess to being a messy scrappy.
Not messy as in having a messy studio to work in, that part of my scrapping is tidy, but my creations tend to end up being messy.
I try neat and tidy but they look unfinished to me, so I add something else, then splatter the ink and before you know it unintentionally, I've created another 'mess'.

I thought I'd share with you today some of my favourite 'messy' techniques.
I made this Cup Cake LO using some Emma's Shoppe papers from Crate Paper.


I love patterned paper, but I find it hard to work straight on to. It feels very busy to me and I feel like I need to tone it down a little.
My favourite way to do this is to reach for the gesso or moulding paste, apply some to the end of a strip of thick card or an old credit card and spread in to the paper/card in various directions. Sometimes I add some paint too if I need a contrast (like I have done here).


I cut the squares from this next sheet. Before sticking them in place, I've roughed up the edges of each square with the side of my scissors. I've lightly inked them and then stuck them in place but not applying any glue to the edges so they lift slightly. I also distressed the edges of the LO with my scissors and distressed ink.
I've used a faux sticthing technique here.
Take a paper piercer and pierce holes in a line. Then using a journal pen join the holes up. Like a dot to dot. You now have a faux stitched line.



I wanted to added a kind of frosted look to my title. Those thickers are lovely, but just a bit to clean and tidy looking for this LO : )
So I stuck them down and then rubbed over each one with my Basic Grey file 9sand paper or a nail file will also work) I then got carried away and rubbed the heart over too.



I then applied some crackle glaze to the title and the heart, sprinkled over some glittery pink embossing powder and heated over with the heat gun. I let it bubble and crack and ended up with this effect. Fab texture!!


And there you have it. My kind of messy, distressed, painty, inky kind of page.



Lisa xx

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Such a fab layout Lisa!

Alyssa said...

Oh wow what a gorgeous layout!!

Carin McDonough said...

I am the opposite, I love the messy look (well I suppose I love lots of looks!) but I battle to do it! Fantastic layout, I love what you did with the heart and title :)

Patrice said...

Fabulous - love the mess!

jason @ Gold Work Embroidery said...

That's brilliant!

My messy stuff isn't intentional though! Usually courtesy of my young grandson.