Saturday 28 January 2023

Candy Cane Cottage ........ Mintay Merry Little Christmas

Hi There

 It's Anita here and today I have a project to share using some more of the gorgeous papers from Mintay and their Merry Little Christmas collection.

Every now and again I like to break away from scrapping and alter things instead. So this is the latest thing I have done. It's all based on an MDF birdhouse blank and an old glass candlestick and was inspired by one I created a few years ago.

I used bits and pieces from 3 different sheets of paper, those were :

Merry Little Christmas - 02

Merry Little Christmas - 04

Merry Little Christmas - 09

I also used some Ivory and Red Acrylic paints, red and white Bakers Twine

 and some pearly beaded trim.

foam dimensional pads

Cherry Red sparkly nail varnish


 

I covered the main part of the house with pretty pale pink reverse side of the 02 sheet. It has lovely little red dashes on it that look almost like stitches. I cut the heart shaped aperture out the front and popped some finely shredded raffia inside to look like nesting materials before covering the roof and fascia with the lovely red checkered pattern, found on the reverse side of sheet 04

The base of the birdhouse was painted with Red acrylic paint to co-ordinate with the papers. I wanted to use some flat backed pearly trim to decorate around the base, however it looked a bit stark being all white, so I found a lovely sparkly Cherry Red nail varnish and blobbed it onto the centre of each pearl. It really worked well and pulled the design together.

Lots of fussy cutting then ensued, taking elements from sheets 02, 04 and 09. So many pretty little images to choose from. I layered some up on top of each other and others were just raised on foam pads for extra dimension.

 The teeny tiny bunting was cut from the top of sheet 02 and then glued to lengths of Red and White Bakers Twine before suspending it fro the front of the bird house base.


I painted the whole of the glass candlestick with an Ivory Acrylic paint and when dry, I dry brushed some of the red paint that was used for the base of the house. Its really effective I think how its picked up the faceted patterns cut into the glass. A small piece of chiffon trim was fixed near the top of the candlestick with a length of the Bakers Twine wound round and then tied in a bow at the front.


I finished it all off by using some of the floral and leafy images that I fussy cut from the sheets and added to the bottom of the candlestick. I am so happy how this turned out in the end and although it was too late for me to use for Christmas decor this year , I can hardly bring myself to pack it away in a box for next year.....so I think I will keep it out for a little longer!

I hope you have enjoyed seeing my post and maybe you will have a try at altering something that you have sitting around at home.


warmest wishes

Anita xx

No comments: