Wednesday 23 August 2023

Heidi Swapp - Set Sail - Unchartered Escape

Hello everyone,

Claire here, back to share my second layout this month using the beautiful Set Sail collection from Heidi Swapp.

For todays layout, I'm featuring lots of ephemera, offset against a mixed media background.


I took a piece of Premium White Cardstock and applied a generous coat of Gesso all over to help it handle the paints and water I would add to the page.

Once it was dry, I took a large leaf stencil from my stash (similar stencils can be found here and here) and positioned it diagonally, knowing my photo would sit in the middle of the two leaves. I applied some clear embossing paste, leaving to dry.

Using the colours in the collection as a guide, I mixed some blue and peachy watercolours and painted directly onto the paper, using a medium sized paintbrush to guide the paint around the page.

When the paint hits the dry texture paste, it acts as a resist, so you can see the image of the leaf coming through the colour. This is a lot clearer at the top of the page where the paint is darker. When the paint was dry, I added splatters in white and gold to create a bit more interest.

I repeated the paint colours in the top right corner to help balance the page.


I backed my photo using the Strip Page paper and a piece of blue cardstock from the Matchmaker pack. For a bit of extra seaside sparkle, I also added a gold foiled ephemera journaling piece which I used as a layer underneath the top edge of my photo.


To create an anchor for my photo, I tore 2 strips of the Cut Aparts paper as the 'b' side is a sandy coloured paper with a textural pattern. I thought this would look good as sand!

I placed my photo on top, raising on foam and then pulled out all those lovely ephemera pieces to create some clusters.

I used a combination of shells from the Cardstock Stickers and fussy cut from the Logo Cut Apart sheet. I stuck some of these flat, and raised others on foam to create height.

I layered some deco web, art stones and moss around the cluster to create extra interest, and added some small chipboard embellishments from P13 and a ticket, fussy cut from the Tags paper.


To extend the height of my cluster, I pulled out the palm trees form the Ephemera Pack and tucked these into the top of my cluster.


I also added a few small banners just above and of course, one of those lovely seagulls on top.


On the other side of the photo, I extended the ripped paper by adding some strips of coloured paper which I cut form the Strip Page paper. 


I cut the ends into fishtails to create a banner shape, and added some more chipboard pieces from P13.



For my title, I added some of those gold foiled puffy stickers - wow! These are really beautiful, and are such a statement piece for your layouts. They really elevate the page.


To finish, I added some ephemera and a fussy cut ticket into the top cluster, to stretch the design and balance the layout.


I have totally fallen in love with this collection! The colour palette, the ephemera, the gold foiling...really beautiful. 

I hope you've enjoyed seeing the layouts made.

Until next month, happy scrapping!

Claire xx

@Scrappysoulmate


No comments: