I have many of my larger dies stored on magnetic sheets in plastic storage boxes, having been removed from their original packaging. However I feel the intricate sets of Sizzix Thinlits Alterations dies need a different method of storage. They have many small pieces and would easily become separated and possibly lost if removed from their packaging. The manufacturing packaging consists of strong plastic wallets, and I find it uesful to keep the dies with their images, showing what is inside the set. I was therefore trying to think of a way to store a group of these die sets together.
I came up with this file which has a box inside and will hold up to seven sets of dies. It will hold my more masculine dies and I plan to make another in the same way for my floral dies using different papers.
|Find this paper pad HERE|
Back in May this year I made a mini album (cook book), and today's project uses some of the same principles, for joining the chipboard and attaching the magnets (so I won't go over all that again - I will simply add the link here). The chipboard you will need to cut for this project is listed below and shown in the photo.
Front and back pieces (2 the same) - 14.5 cm x 17 cm
Spine - 4.5 cm x 17 cm
Small box front - 6cm x 14 cm
Small box back - 7 cm x 14 cm
Small box sides (2 the same - remember to flip one over so they are a mirror image of one another) - 4 cm wide, height of 6 cm at the front and 7 cm at the pack of piece (see photo)
Small box base - 4 cm x 14 cm
Build the small box and the folder using black duck tape as explained here. The duck tape makes the joints strong and flexible, while giving the edges some water resistance too.
Attach the magnets at this point so they are hidden under the decorative paper see next two photos for positions. For technique used to attach magnets, please see here.
The first photo shows position of 4 pairs of magnets to attach back of small box to inside back of folder...
I selected the papers from the pad, then cut them so the measurements were about 0.5 cm smaller than the chipboard. The edges were inked with Distress Inks (weathered wood and gathered twigs).
Here is the inside of the folder ...
... and the outside - for this I used the foiled papers.
For the small box I covered all four sides with the cog paper:
Lastly I used black Bazzill cardstock and papers from the pad, together with several dies to add some embellishments and lettering to the outside of the folder.
I used Thinlits Die Set Gearhead, Bigz Die Pipeline, Sizzlits Decorative Strips - Wanted Alphabet and Typeset Alphabet. I embossed the cogs with several different metalic coloured embossing powders. A little Glossy Accents was added to the water drips.
Now to make the next one - I think they should look good on the shelf in the craft room!
Thanks for looking.