Friday 13 May 2022

Pinkfresh Studio Happy Heart - Hand Stitching

Hello, Karen here again with another scrapbook layout to share using the beautiful Happy Heart collection from Pinkfresh Studio. For this layout, which is inspired a great deal by a layout by Paige Evans, I used just two pieces of paper - Celebrate You (2" Squares)  and Keep Growing (Blue B Side), some words from the Ephemera Titles Pack, a few sequins and lots of hand stitching.

The sheets of 2" squares which a lot of manufacturers have started producing are very versatile and can be used in many way. You can use them in their entirety (like in this layout I created a couple of years ago using Simple Stories), use a few of the squares either whole of fussy cut as embellishments, or as I have with today's layout, use some of the squares in a grid design. You could also cut your own 2" squares from patterned papers if the collection you're using doesn't include a sheet of squares.


I started with a sheet of the pale blue Keep Growing paper and then chose 19 of the 2" squares from the Celebrate You paper which I arranged in a grid with six 2" square black and white photos. I distressed all the edges of the squares and arranged them so that the colours were evenly distributed throughout the grid. The photos were mounted on 3D foam to raise them up and make them more prominent.


I then took a few words from the Emphemera Titles Pack and with 3D foam underneath I placed these on top of some of the squares.


I almost left the layout at that but decided to do some hand stitching on the layout. Firstly I stitched over some of the designs on the squares.


Then I poked a serious of holes into the layout where I wanted to stitch grid lines and using 6 strands of pale blue embroidery thread I stitched the lines using a chain stitch. This was a real labour of love and took a long time to complete but I really like the finished effect and the added texture it gives the layout. It would have probably been easier to stitch the lines before I glued down the squares, but as the stitching was an afterthought that wasn't an option.


Finally, I added a few sequins to a couple of the squares and called the layout done.


I hope you like the layout and may be tempted to have a go at hand stitching on your own layouts. 

Until next time, Take Care
Karen x x

No comments: