Friday 20 April 2018

More Fun with Distress Oxide Inks

Lynn here today, back with more creations using Distress Oxide Inks. Previous blog posts on the subject can be found here (Scrapbook layout) and here (a review). This time I have tried several different techniques and then made my experiments into cards to send my friends. 
I will list all the items from the shop I used in making these cards at the end of the post.



The first method I want to share is Distress Oxide Water Painting - something I learnt from Jennifer McGuire Ink. Please see what I have done and follow the link for more information. Four of the above cards were made using this process.


Stamp images with clear Versamark ink and emboss with white embossing powder.  Then select a few colours on Distress Oxide ink and a blending tool and apply ink over the paper, blending the colours together where they meet. This works very well with the creamy texture of the Distress Oxides Inks. 


Now with a paintbrush and water, simply paint over the inside of the images, this will lift off the colour, giving a slightly different colour underneath. You can dry this with a heat tool or by dabbing with a cloth. If necessary repeat the process until you are happy with the colour change.



I trimmed the image I had made and mounted onto a card blank, the butterfly I had treated in the same way, the cut out and mounted onto the card. I added a greeting and some Nuvo drops and stickles to finish off.


A few more cards made in the same way:


On this card you can see where I flicked drops of water over the finished artwork, before making it into a card.


This card and the one above are mounted on the same card as I used to create the art work, I cut a mat slightly bigger than the piece, then I used the blending tool to and oxide ink to create a border. There was no need to ink the whole piece as I was covering most of it up, but I got a perfect colour match.



This next card took the above technique a step further.

After removing some colour from the images I added a new colour in using Worn Lipstick, I rubbed some ink onto my craft mat, spritzed it with water, then painted onto the images.


Onto a different method now, and this time I used stencils in two different ways.


For this card I used black cardstock and after taping the card and stencil in place, I simply rubbed colour over the stencil using the blending tools. Making sure I blended the colours together where they met each other.


For the next card I blended pale colours (Tattered Rose and Antique Linen), over a piece of smooth white cardstock.

Then I added a stencil and inked through with Shaded Lilac. A simple card was made by adding a fine black border and a greeting stamped in black Archival Ink.

For the last card today used the same principle I have used on several cards on my blog recently.
I add several shades of a colour to my craft mat, spritz with water and drag the watercolour paper through it, before drying. then if more colour needed I repeat the process. In this way I make several pieces of coloured card for the background of my card and for each part of the die cutting. In this case leaves and flowers. 



Here are the products I have used:

Distress Oxide Ink Pads
Versamark Ink Pad
Black Versafine Ink 
Blending tools
Watercolour paper
Cardstock - smooth white and black, Miri Card (Gold and Silver)
Embossing Powder

Stampendous Embossing Enamel
Memory Box Dies (Thank You and Happy Birthday)
Sizzix Thinlits Dies - small tattered florals
Stickles
Nuvo Crystal Drops
Sequins

Ribbon
Avery Ellie Stamps
PaperArtsy JOFY Stamps
Tim Holtz Layering Stencil
Crafter's Workshop Stencil

Here are a few alternative experiments:


 Using black embossing powder instead of white.


Embossing the cardstock, then blending Distress Oxide Inks over the patterned area.

I hope you have enjoyed this post and have some fun playing with Distress Oxide Inks and seeing how different their properties are to the traditional Distress Inks. 

Thanks for looking
Lynn x

1 comment:

Anita said...

Beautiful work Lynn, I really enjoyed watching you create these and the different techniques you used xx