Tuesday, 19 February 2008

Recently Wendy sent me a little box of goodies to see what I would come up with.
This is what I found inside.
Whilst I love Scenic Route, and always have, I was strangely unsure as to what I could come up with.
After some time, pushing the papers around, choosing photos, and pushing the papers around again, I realised I needed to take a deep breath, get out my scissors, and get stuck in.

This is the first layout I created.
I love the photo, and how crazy it is, and wanted to make the LO fun and funky.

As the layout was to be in the 8.5x11" format, I cut the title first, on my Craft Robo, to get the sizing and spacing for the rest of the layout right.

The arrow and brackets came from the chipboard elements sheet.
These I covered with patterned paper to match the title. I lay them face down on the underside of the paper, drew round them, then cut them out and stuck them on.
Another way to do this would be stick them onto the paper then cut out. I just tend to find that a little awkward.

Then I inked the edges of the title and elements with pen. Using an inkpad on very intricate items can be rather fiddly, so a pen outline is my preferred method.

I then cut a strip of green cardstock to fit the height of the page. I handcut scallops down one edge, and doodled a line just around the inside edge.

Cut and scallop another strip this time from the blue cardstock, this time to fit along the width.
I then cut a piece of another patterned paper approximately 3 1/2" x 6 1/2";
doodled around all edges as before, then adhered the 3 pieces to the page.

Using the same paper I used for the title I matted the photo leaving a 5mm border all around. A little doodling was added.

Now I stuck on the title, brackets and arrow.

Sticky pads on the title meant it would stand out from the page. I didn't use them on the chipboard shapes as they already have depth.

I added the buttons and ribbon to the page to add extra texture and dimension.
These buttons came already stitched and with adhesive tape to fix them on, so securing them was easy.

I then added a last few details- some journalling around the photo, and some dots around the edge of the whole page...

and there you are done!!

Here is the second layout I made...

And this is how I put it together...

First I cut the 3 different pieces of patterned paper for the layers,and a white cardstock mat for one of the photos- then I inked all around the edges.

Using double sided tape I stuck the first layer vertically to the background paper, then machine stitched all around the edges. I then stuck on the second- this time horizontal layer, and stitched again.

Next I stuck the photos to their mats, and macine stitched around them.

After stitching I use a small piece of double sided tape on the back to secure the loose ends, and to keep them tidily out of the way when assembling the layout.

For the stars I used chipboard shapes, and covered them in patterned paper.

I cut the title on my Craft Robo using the Jokerman font. This I edged using a pen as it would all be too fiddly to ink. I then assembled the layout... and finished with some dots, and more machine stitching around the edges.

Et voila!! ... as they say!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I can't wait to go shopping with all these new stuff. Thanks for sharing!