Saturday 9 May 2009

Fun with felt!

I'm always looking for ways to add a personal touch to my pages, and one way of doing this is to create my own embellishments. I had a stack of felt pieces in the drawer and decided to use them on my page about my other half's new glasses!






You can run felt through most diecutting machines (not the electronic ones I hasten to add!) but the easiest thing to do is to handcut your shapes with a pair of sharp scissors. I wanted to add small hearts to this layout, so I simply drew a rough guideline on the back of my felt then cut out the shape. It doesn't have to be precise - the imperfections add to the charm!




I layered my embellishments up with small paper flowers, and also used this border stamp to stamp directly on my page to create a 'base' for some of my embellishments.





To add to the homespun feel of the page, I added sewing machine stitches around some of the papers, you could also handstitch for a similar effect. Here is the finished page, very simple and quite thrifty too, as there was plenty of the felt sheet left to use for other pages too!


2 comments:

Stacey said...

Thanks for the warning on the electric die cutting machine! That would have been bad! My cricut wouldn't have been so happy I am sure. Great idea! Love the colors you used and the new glasses look great on him too!

Unknown said...

I love this idea! And your LO is gorgeous! It isn't easy to do a masculine LO and you mastered it!