Sunday 12 September 2010

Paper Piecing

As blogger failed to publish this weeks Saturday sketches ( was away all weekend and i didn't realise) and then blogger decided to eat said post i will give you a gorgeous post by Chloe instead...
******************************
The suggestion of paper piecing can often conjure up images in our heads of intricate cutting and sticking, along the lines of a decoupage card, but if you want to try it, it can be as basic as you like and have a really fun impact. I wanted to give these photos a sunny, whimsical layout to match the mood we felt when greeted by this wonderful view and the first sunshine we had seen in months after a very harsh winter. The Echo Park papers were gorgeous, but lacked a really strong pattern or design, so I decided to use them to create an early spring weather scene instead.

I drew the shapes of a sun, a large cloud, some sun rays and a 'gust' of wind on the papers using pencil. I tend to put the papers in position on the background card roughly where I would like an element to go, then sketch a basic pencil line of my shape which can be easily erased afterwards. Don't think you have to do this perfectly - there are no rules! I then cut out my shapes, outlined everything with a black fineliner pen to give it a cartoony feel, and glued it into position.

I created my title using cardstock stickers by Doodlebug, and American Crafts thickers - I also outlined these with black pen to make them stand out and to continue the theme. I arranged the title to follow the line of the gust of wind, giving the effect of it being blown across the page. I absolutely love my Martha Stewart butterfly punches at the moment, so I punched out a few shapes, outlined them and mounted them on sticky pads for dimension.

The reverse of one of the papers had lots of different images and phrases on it. I cut a large butterfly from one, and used another as a journalling block. I used a decorative brad to attach it to the page, so that it can swing out from under the photo for ease of reading. A few gems finished off the layout.
The finished page was very simple to make, but has a fun feel and perfectly captures our moods on the hilltop that day.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Roxy said...

I looooove this layout! I may even be inspired to do some paper piecing soon! But I especially LOVE your green coat!!!!!

catherine13 said...

This is gorgeous - such sunny colours. Love it :)