Wednesday 25 October 2023

Frank Garcia Twilight Cake Topper

 Hello Julie here for my second Halloween post.  I have thoroughly enjoyed using the pastel colours from the Frank Garcia Twilight collection for Halloween. Today I created a 3d cake topper using some ephemera and some die cut flowers that I made.  I took this idea in a large part from the Prima blog as it was so pretty and I wanted to recreate something very similar.



Firstly, I used a wooden spiderweb and sprayed it a tiny bit with pink paint to match the colours from the collection.  I then used my Cricut to cut out three spider web outlines to create a base for my wooden spiderweb to sit on and also it gave the cake topper some stability.

I used both packs of the Twilight ephemera to add elements to my spiderweb.  I couldn't pass up the adorable pumpkin man and I used lots of pieces from the packs to create some clusters and depth layering the pieces on foam tape.

Prima has some beautiful flowers to match each collection, however I decided to make my own using the brilliant Tim Holtz Sizzix Tattered Florals dies.  If you do not have these dies in your collection, run to Papermaze and grab yourself some!  I used several of the papers from the Twilight collection and die cut my own flowers, the beauty of these dies is that you can make numerous layers in different sizes or just use one layer to make a flower the choice is yours.  I also used the branch in this die set to make a couple of "spooky" branches poking out of the background.  I added a little touch of glue to the edge of the flowers and dipped them into my go to Glitter Dust.

I love using some gold thread to add a bit of interest to the back of ephemera pieces and I continued to add some enamel dots and sequins to the piece to create a bit of sparkle.

Finally I used a small bow die (similar to this one) to cut out a little bow from various paper scraps I had left, and added some tuille behind it to create a little bow for the bottomm of the topper.  I think this would have looked just as good with a little bouquet of Prima flowers added to the bottom.  I used my hot glue gun to add the whole piece onto a gold straw to enable me to put it into a cake.  I hope you like this little project, the ephemera pieces can be used in so many different ways and create such a "wow" factor.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, I will be back next month with some Christmassy goodness xx 

No comments: