Wednesday 26 May 2021

Paint! - Vicki Boutin - Color Study Collection

Hello, Rebecca back with you today sharing another bright and somewhat busy layout I've created with Vicki Boutin's Color Study collection. I am really loving all the bright and bold colours this collection offers and I'm finding it works so well with black and white photos.


My initial plan for this layout was to stick to a blue and green colour scheme - but as I got creating this idea slowly adapted and I ended up introducing hints of other colours too! I started by tearing strips from the B sides of three of the patterned papers - Line DrawingJournal and Array of Colors. I tore wider strips for the left hand side, and slightly narrower strips for the right. I prefer to tear papers rather than use scissors or a trimmer as I love the texture it brings to the page. 

To help the blues and greens 'pop' on this layout, I selected a sheet of Premium White Cardstock for my background and added some paint splatters to it using distress inks in Blueprint SketchMermaid Lagoon and Mowed Lawn along with a metallic gold acrylic paint and a black acrylic paint to create a bit of drama.

Once my paint splatters were dry, I adhered my blue and green strips to either side of my layout. I then positioned my photos - two photos on the left and one on the right, to help draw your eye to both sides of the page. 

I then moved on to the fun part of embellishing my page. I cut out three of the tags from the Perspective patterned paper and arranged them behind my photos with some embroidery thread through them to add some texture and interest. 


I also cut three of the paint tubes from the Canvas patterned paper and rolled the coloured paint strips back around a plastic straw. This revealed hints of pink and orange, and so I decided to abandon my blue and green theme and introduce some other colours in! I cut out the rainbow and paintbrush from the same patterned paper and used it to add to the cluster I had building on the bottom right of the page.


I fussy cut some of the gorgeous pie-chart circles from the Speciality Vellum, and punched out some smaller circles from the background of the vellum as it has a gold foiled grid pattern on it and was way too gorgeous to throw in the bin! I added these circles to either side of my page in clusters of two or three to add pops of colour around the page.


I'd also fussy cut some of the butterflies from the Pretty Things paper for my previous layout, so decided to add two to this layout too. This worked really well as my photos are black and white, and there is a lot of colour going on on this layout, so the butterflies helped to tone it down slightly with the darker hints.

I absolutely adore the 'All This Happiness' chipboard stickers that come with this collection. They are truly stunning, so I added some chipboard black paint splatters, and also some phrase icons.


I finished off my embellishing with a paint tube from the Ephemera Icons, a couple of bulldog clip stickers from the Sticker Book and two gold arrow stickers from the Icon and Phrase Stickers sheet.


The only thing left to add was my title... I just had to find room for it!! I used the gorgeous Modern Art Chipboard Thickers. These are possibly the most stunning thickers I have ever laid my eyes on!


If you'd like to see how this layout came together, there is a process video up on my YouTube channel which you can find here.

I have really loved working with this collection, and thankfully I have plenty left so this won't be the last Color Study layout you see from me!

Take care

Rebecca x

No comments: