Friday 24 September 2021

Sweet Life - Simple Stories - Simple Vintage Lemon Twist

Hello, Rebecca back with you today sharing my second layout created with the Simple Vintage Lemon Twist collection by Simple Stories. The collection is available in the store here



I'm still loving this collection - so much so, that I was inspired to create a layout with a patterned paper background! If you follow me on YouTube or Instagram you'll know this is something I very rarely do...if at all!

I started with a sheet of the Happy Thoughts patterned paper and trimmed it down to 10.5 x 10.5 inches. I then made a slit in the top and bottom, towards the right hand side of the page, each about 4 inches long. I folded the edges back on either size of the slit, to reveal the B side pattern. I made a couple of folds to add a bit of interest, and secured them with some mini staples to bring another texture to the page. 



I distressed the edges of the entire page and then backed the empty triangle areas with the Sweet Life paper as I planned to mount the patterned paper onto white cardstock, but I didn't like the way the white was showing through the gaps. I then stuck the whole page to a sheet of 12x12 inch Premium White Cardstock, which gave my page a white border, and finished this off with a border of white machine stitching.


This collection comes with some gorgeous Chipboard Frames so I selected an oval one and backed it with my photo. It has a decorative lemon to the left of the frame which has the words 'Sweet Life' and I thought that would make the perfect title for my layout. I added some craft foam behind my photo and stuck it in the centre of the page in between the two slits.


Moving on to embellishing my layout, I selected a few elements from the Bits & Pieces pack, and positioned them above and below my photo. The idea being to have a line of embellishments cascading down the page. I popped a couple of tickets and some phrase banners underneath the photo, and above my photo I added a tag, a heart, a butterfly and another phrase banner. 



From the Floral Bits & Pieces I selected another butterfly and a bumble bee. The chipboard frame already had one bumble bee on it so I placed the cardstock bee onto the lemon so that there was one either side of the frame.



I then finished my layout with some white splatters, using watered-down white gesso to add a bit of white to the background to break up the patterned paper a bit.

If you'd like to watch this layout come together, there is a process video up on my YouTube channel, which you can find here.



Thanks so much for reading. I hope this layout has inspired you in some way - there's plenty of this collection left in the store if you fancy having a play with it. I've found it possibly one of the easiest collections to work with! The limited colour palette means that everything matches perfectly and I've found that the layouts seem to fall together so easily and enjoyably! Thankfully I have lots of this collection left, so this won't be the last you see of it from me!

Take care

Rebecca x



No comments: