Monday 11 April 2022

Hello Sunshine - Vicki Boutin - Sweet Rush Collection

Hello, Rebecca with you today sharing my first layout created with the new 'Sweet Rush' collection, designed by Vicki Boutin for American Crafts. You can find the collection in the store here. At the moment, we have all the papers and some of the embellishments available, but we are still waiting eagerly for the ephemera to arrive. It won't be long now!


My eye was immediately drawn to the Rainbow Swirl patterned paper. Obviously. I'm a sucker for a rainbow paper and this one was no exception! I cut the rainbow in half so that I had the warmer colours on one section, and the cooler colours on another. I then cut along the adjoining lines (not all the way though!) so that I could distress all the edges in between the colours to introduce a bit of texture. 

Next, I placed the blue-green section of the rainbow towards the top of my page, and then turned the warmer coloured section up the other way, so that I could place my circular photo in the centre, and it would look like the rainbow rays were coming out of my photo.



As I mentioned, we are still waiting for a lot of the ephemera and stickers etc to arrive - so I had to get my fussy-cut on and create myself some embellishments for my layout! I cut the clouds from the Silver Lining paper, the flowers from the Daisy Chain paper, and possibly my favourite - the butterflies - from the Soar paper. There is so much fussy-cutting potential in this collection which means you can really stretch it! 



I placed the clouds across the rainbow, towards the top of my page, and a couple peeking out from behind my photo. I distressed the edges of them to give them a 'fluffy' appearance.



I added some of the fussy-cut flowers either side of my photo, following the diagonal design of the rainbow. I raised the petals up with foam pads to give them a more dimensional appearance. 



I then added the butterflies in a tone-on-tone fashion, varying the sizes for interest. As with all my layouts, when I use butterflies I only ever adhere their bodies to my page. I love to leave the wings flapping free so that I can bend them up and make it look like the butterflies have just flown onto my layout. 



For my title, I selected the phrase 'Hello Sunshine' from the Loving This Phrase Stickers. I love the way the black 'pops' against all the bright colours of my rainbow. I also added 4 of the heart-shaped Layered Stickers, again trying to stick to tone-on-tone. I bend the edges of the hearts up for dimension.



I finished off my layout with some black 'Holy Moly' acrylic perspextives from Bramble Fox, and some black ink splatters to add a bit of drama and impact.



I hope you've enjoyed this layout. I'm really impressed with how many embellishments I was able to create by fussy-cutting some of the patterned papers! If you'd like to watch this layout come together, there is a process video up on my YouTube layout, which you can find here.


I'll be back later in the month with another 'Sweet Rush' layout - and by then the ephemera will have arrived so I'll have a lot more to play with!

Take care,

Rebecca x

@preciouspagespapercraft


No comments: