Monday 15 March 2021

Sea Breeze - P13 Paper Products - Beyond the Sea

Hello, Rebecca here with you today with an exciting new layout! Well, it’s exciting for me so I hope it’s just as exciting for you! As you know, I love to scrap bright and bold colours for my little boy’s album, but lately, I’ve really been feeling the need for a bit of a change.  

I recently discovered P13 Paper Products (through fellow DT friend Claire) and bought myself the ‘When we first met’ collection and really enjoyed working with it. So imagine my excitement when  Vanessa told me she had ordered some P13 collections for Papermaze!! Naturally, I jumped at the chance to work with another collection and so this month I’ll be bringing you layouts made with P13 ‘Beyond the Sea’.  


The papers in P13 collections are stunning and they present lots of opportunity for fussy-cutting. I really love how this layout turned out and I’m quite proud of myself for creating a layout entirely from patterned papers - not a single sheet of white cardstock was harmed in the making of this layout! 

I started with Paper #06 which has a lovely creamy beige pattern on it and decided that I would use this as my background. I had a chipboard frame by Dusty Attic (Swirly Frame)  which I wanted to use to house my photo so I trimmed my photo to fit and stuck it in place. 


I then tore a strip of Paper #05 to sit horizontally across the centre of my layout. I love the distressed look of torn edges and the texture they bring to a layout - perfect for my beachy page. I also tore two strips of Paper #01 to sit above and below to offer some contrast and interesting pattern. I distressed the edges of these papers using an ink blending tool and a distress ink in Salty Ocean. Behind these strips I layered some hessian and cheesecloth to bring in more beachy textures. 


Before adhering my strips down I added some white gesso to my page using a scrunched up piece of kitchen towel. I dipped it in the gesso and then repeatedly dabbed it onto my background just so that it would show behind my centre strips - again for a bit more texture and to give my layout a more weathered look. I then added a hint of shimmer to my background by spraying some Nuvo Mica Mists onto them in blue and gold. I then finished the background off with some white splatters using watered-down white gesso. 

I added foam behind my photo and chipboard swirl and used glossy accents to fix it in place. I then embellished my layout using elements I had fussy cut from Paper #07. This particular patterned paper really helps to stretch the collection and has provided enough fussy-cut ephemera for several layouts! 


Some of the embellishments have been stuck flat, and some have been raised onto foam pads to add some dimension to the layout. It’s also enabled me to overlap some of the elements to create depth and some lovely shadowing.


Once I was happy with the placement of my ephemera, I added a couple of tiny sea shells to my layout which my son had collected from the beach himself! 

Happy with how my layout was coming together, I got out my new Shimmerz Paints and painted my chipboard frame with a blue original Shimmerz called ‘Anchors Away’. Shimmerz are another new product to Papermaze this month and if you have never used them before then I highly recommend them! They add a beautiful shimmer to your crafty projects and they paint onto chipboard really nicely. It was actually quite therapeutic! 


I selected some Kraft coloured chipboard thickers from my stash for my title - Sea Breeze - and painted them with another Shimmerz Paint. This time I used an Inklingz in ‘Miner Miner 49er’ which is a lovely shimmery gold. Inklingz are slightly different to original Shimmerz in that they are pots of solid paint which you add water to, to activate them. But they offer the same amount of beautiful shimmer and have left my thickers with a gold sparkle about them.


To finish my layout, I added two circular stickers from Cardstock Stickers #03, with some tangles of metallic gold thread behind them. 


I really love how this layout turned out. It’s a bit different for me, but I’m so happy with it and I really enjoyed working with this stunning new collection. If you’d like to watch how the layout came together, there is a process video up on my YouTube channel which you can find here.

If you feel inspired to try this gorgeous new brand, please head over to the shop where you’ll find this collection, along with ‘Forest Tea Party’ and ‘Always and Forever’. And keep your eyes peeled because a little birdy tells me there may be some more P13 collections on their way!

I’ll be back later in the month with another layout, but until then, stay safe and take care.


Rebecca x


1 comment:

busybee said...

Absolutely gorgeous page!