Wednesday 28 April 2021

Feed the Ducks - P13 Paper Products - Soulmate

Hello, Rebecca with you today. I hope you are all keeping well and enjoying a little bit of freedom as the restrictions are starting to be lifted. I’ve popped by to share another layout I’ve created with the gorgeous 'Soulmate' collection from P13 Paper Products. I am really enjoying this collection and the neutral tones mixed with the dark Navy. It's perfect for scrapping more masculine pages.


I was really drawn to Paper #1 with all the beautiful feathers. I fussy cut loads of them out and as they were sitting in a pile on my desk they reminded me of a dream catcher - and that's where the idea for this layout was born! I used a 10cm wide metal ring and wrapped some string around it to add some texture and to make it look more like a dream catcher. I then painted the string gold using a metallic acrylic paint, and wrapped my favourite WRMK Gold Metallic Thread all around it to give it the classic dream catcher look.

I selected Paper #4 for my background as I loved the contrast of the bright gold against the dark navy. I wanted to jazz the paper up a bit so I added some gold splatters to the left hand side of my page, where the dream catcher would sit, and finished it off with a few white splatters. I then added a little bit of stamping with black ink for some subtle texture.

I used Glossy Accents to stick my dream catcher in place, and then I set about attaching the fussy-cut feathers. I tied the metallic gold thread around the top (well, technically I suppose it’s the base!) of the feathers and then attached the thread to the dream catcher hoop, making sure they all hung at different lengths. I placed foam pads behind the feathers for a bit of dimension.

The photo I’d chosen for this layout is of my little boy feeding the ducks at a local lake - I thought it went perfect with the feathers theme, and the colours in the photo worked perfectly with the layout. I printed it smaller than usual, at just 2x3 inches so that it could sit nicely on the dream catcher. I added a white border to my photo to help separate it from the background slightly, and added a layer of vellum behind it. 

I then moved on to embellishing my layout. Normally the embellishing part is where I struggle the most when creating layouts, but I’m finding it really enjoyable with these P13 collections. It really helps that the collections tend to have a colour scheme, or at least a limited number of colours to them. The embellishments all match perfectly with all the patterned papers, so it offers so many different options when it comes to deciding what to use. 

As with Beyond the Sea, the Soulmate collection has plenty of opportunity for fussy-cutting! I spent some time cutting the individual elements from Paper #7, the florals from Paper #2 and the moths from Paper #3 and this gave me lots to work with! 

I started with the floral clusters as they are the biggest elements. I layered them underneath my photo and then I worked in some of the elements from Paper #7. I absolutely loved the owls, and although we weren’t feeding owls at the lake, owls have feathers and so they work for me! I also added in a round sticker from Sticker Sheet #3 with some of the same gold thread tangled behind it and a skeleton leaf from my stash.

I added a couple of the moths from Paper #3, raising them up on foam pads to give the appearance that they were flying.

For my title I’ve fussy-cut some of the letters from Paper #4 to make the word ‘ducks’ and then I’ve used Alpha Sticker Sheet #2 for the rest of my title. I had the problem that my alpha stickers were never going to show up against a navy background, so I stuck them onto white cardstock and cut them out leaving a thin border to help them stand out more.

I then finished my layout with a couple of phrase stickers from Sticker Sheet #1 under my title. 

So that’s another layout from me with no white cardstock! It’s becoming a habit with the P13 collections!! The thing is, the patterned papers are so beautiful I just HAVE to use them! 


If you’d like to watch how this layout came together, I have a process video up on my YouTube channel, which you can find here.

Until next time, take care

Rebecca x


No comments: