Saturday 31 October 2020

Happy Halloween (2) - Simple Stories - Boo Crew Collection

Hello, it's Rebecca here - I couldn't resist popping by to say HAPPY HALLOWEEN and to share another layout I've created using the Simple Stories 'Boo Crew' collection. I am still really enjoying this collection, and think I'll be creating layouts with it for weeks to come!


I started this layout with a sheet of 12x12 textured ivory cardstock, and added some mixed media by colouring my texture paste with distress inks, and pressing it through a stencil by Echo Park (the stencil can be found here). This has given me a gorgeous orange and black star background to build my layout upon. I also mixed the two distress inks with a little water and added paint splatters using a paintbrush. The background did't take very long at all, and it was very simple - but its added a lot more interest to my layout. If you are new to trying out mixed media, using texture paste and a stencil is a really great way to dip your toes in!

I mounted my photos first onto white cardstock, and then onto black to help frame them and placed them in the centre of my page towards the top. I selected four tags from the 'Tags' patterned paper, distressed the edges and added some embroidery thread and placed two just peeking out either side of my photos.


For my title, I've used the 'B' side of the 'Happy Haunting' patterned paper. I hand-drew the letters to spell 'Halloween' and cut them out. I drew a black border on each of the letters using a black fine liner pen to help give them a more defined edge, which I think helps them to pop off the page a little more. I adhered the letters under my photos using foam pads to add dimension. I then placed the word 'happy' from the Bits & Pieces pack above to complete my title.

I felt like my layout needed something dark at the top and bottom as it was looking a little stark with just the ivory cardstock. So I tore some strips of the 'Happy Haunting' patterned paper - using both the 'A' and 'B' sides. I layered these on top of each other with the darker 'A' side being more dominant, and the orange 'B' side just peeking out from behind it.


Next, I set about embellishing my layout. I still had the female skeleton left over from my last layout so she finally found a home on this page! She's from the Bits & Pieces ephemera pack. I am really impressed with this pack- I don't think I've ever had an ephemera pack with so much in it, and I love every single bit! The little cat riding the broomstick is also from this pack, as is the 'Hey Pumpkin' banner flag at the bottom. I also fussy-cut a little dancing skeleton from the 'Tags' patterned paper.

The Combo Cardstock Stickers sheet in this collection is just as amazing as the 'Bits & Pieces' and is jam-packed with so much! I've used several stickers on this layout - The 'A Wicked Good Time' sign at the top left, the male skeleton, the banner under my title, the pumpkin and also the word stickers at the bottom! And I still have soooo much left on the sticker sheet! It's a bit like Mary Poppin's handbag... never ending!


I finished my layout by adding a male skull face from the Chipboard Stickers and several thread clusters in orange and black. 


When I started this layout I had no plan other than wanting to have the orange and black texture paste stars on my background! And from those stars, the layout just grew and came together really quickly.

If you'd like to watch how my layout came together, there is a process video up on my YouTube channel which you can find Here

Wow, that's me done for October! I can't believe how fast this month has gone. I still have loads of this collection left so I'm sure there will be more layouts here and there once we have some photos from this evening! Can you tell I love Halloween?!

I'll be back next month with some more layouts. I'm sticking with Simple Stories and working with the 'Cozy Days' collection so I can't wait to get creating some Autumnal layouts.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend, and if you celebrate Halloween then I hope you have a wickedly spooky night, and stay safe.

Take care,

Rebecca x



No comments: